Balancing Being a Mom and Working from Home

Last September I had my son and about a month after I started my own pet grooming business based out of my home. Luckily, I had the perfect room in our house to use and most of the equipment since I groomed at my previous job. It was the perfect way to earn money for our family and get to stay at home with Asher. It is a win-win! In my head, it was going to be so simple and perfect. Although it has been really successful so far and I love staying at home with him, it has been anything but simple. Balancing being a mom and working from home can be tough, but you can do it!

This post contains affiliate links that I may earn a commission for if you purchase from them. I only recommend tools and products that I trust and love!

There are so many ways that people can earn money working from home. Whether it is starting a blog, being a personal assistant, or owning your own business, working from home can be a struggle balancing both work and home life. This struggle can be amplified if you have small children who crave more attention. It can also be extremely rewarding and worth it getting to stay home with your little ones while also earning an income. Below are just a few tips based on how I balance working from home and making sure to spend plenty of time with my baby.

Make a “To Do” List

I can not stand a messy house. One thing that really helps keep me sane is having a small “to-do” list that I complete every day. Each morning, I come up with a few things that I want to accomplish for the day that are unrelated to my business. It is generally cleaning duties. I try to do these in the morning not long after waking up because it both gets them out of the way and my son is generally in a good mood in the morning. This means that I can put him down in his extra-saucer or bouncer in whatever room that I am cleaning in and he is happy for a while watching me work. Doing a few small tasks every day also reduces the amount of time that I have to work on it since it does not give the house a chance to get too messy. Click below for a FREE Daily Planning Sheet!

Peach Floral Watercolor General Personal Planner

Schedule Around Nap/Feeding Times

One luxury of making my own schedule is that I can schedule my appointments around my sons nap and feeding times. I love to lay down with him for his naps and cuddle him. Scheduling around his nap times not only allows for this, but also helps my sanity because I am not trying to groom a dog while he is fussing because he is tired and ready for a nap. I always try to avoid working during his normal feeding and nap times so that he isn’t as fussy while I am trying to get my work done.

Plan Activities for Work Times

Planning fun activities or having ideas to keep your little ones occupied while you are doing your work helps SO MUCH. My step-kids are all old enough to be at school during week days, so I usually only have my 7 month old son with me at home during the day. He isn’t old enough to get into too much yet, but I am waiting for the day where he is and am sure that will a whole new learning curve. For now though, giving him plenty of toys to play with, putting on a movie that he loves, and even just putting him in his door-frame jumper are things that he loves doing while I am grooming dogs.

Don’t Overwork Yourself

For a while when I first started my business, I was trying to take on too much during the day. It got to where I was breaking down and contemplated shutting down my business. I wasn’t getting enough time with my baby and it wasn’t okay with me. I had to make a decision and that was to cut back on my work some and try to find that balance between work and having enough time with my boy. It can still be a struggle when I have weeks where a lot of people are wanting grooms. Trying to scale it down and having a set number of grooms to do a day that I don’t go over really helps me to not overbook myself and cause unneeded stress.

Make Time for your Kids and Partner

This ties in with the last category about not over-working. Making plenty of time a day to spend time with your kids without thinking about work is a huge stress reliever. This is also why I work on my daily to-do list in the morning. I also schedule most of my grooms earlier in the day for the same reason. My goal is to get all of my work and house related tasks done early so that I can dedicate the rest of my day to spending time with my baby, step-kids, and fiancee.

Take Time for Yourself

Whether it is during nap times or at the end of the day, don’t forget to make time for yourself. Even if it is as simple as relaxing in the shower/bath, watching a movie, or doing a hobby that you enjoy. Spending time with your kids and partner is important, but it also important to carve some time out for yourself to unwind.

SaveSave

• passportofawanderwoman April 24, 2018 at 12:45 am

I should share this with a new working mom I know. This will surely help her I believe.

• Caroline Higgs April 24, 2018 at 12:51 am

As a mom of a 6 month old and five year old who works from home I definitely understand the struggle (and applaud you for getting any housework done at all). Thank you for the daily planning sheet I’m sure it will come in extremely helpful, especially once my six month old decides to abide by a nap schedule.

• Joan Cajic April 24, 2018 at 5:10 am

I needed this just came back from hospital with my newborn and I have to start scheduling work around his nap times so far so good but you never know.

• Amber Myers April 24, 2018 at 7:27 am

Great tips! It can be tricky, but I try to keep a schedule. That helps. And I do take time for myself. I usually read a book!

• Ally April 24, 2018 at 8:11 am

I recently started running our blog and online business from home. At first I thought it was going to be easy and perfect just like you mentioned in your article! I always make a to-do list and schedule around nap times although it doesn’t always work according to plan! lol!

• Sarah Bailey April 24, 2018 at 9:37 am

I have some friends who are work from home Mums and I have no idea how they manage it I find it hard without kids!

• Essi April 24, 2018 at 11:09 am

My best friend just had her first baby and she can’t seem to be able to juggle things like she used to. I am going to share this with her.

• tara pittman April 24, 2018 at 12:28 pm

Making time for others is my goal. I need to realize that I can not get it all done in a day.

• Livi April 24, 2018 at 3:52 pm

You know that is the hardest thing working from home. I have no idea how to separate the two that it almost feels like I am working from dawn till dusk!

• Heidi April 24, 2018 at 6:42 pm

I struggle with this so much! I always spend too much time on my job at home, because I never leave the office. It’s so good to find balance early.

• Jenifer Balatico April 25, 2018 at 8:07 am

I salute all moms especially those who can manage being a full time mom and working from home – not an easy task to do.

• Evelyn, PathofPresence April 25, 2018 at 5:13 pm

This is such a great post to find balance for someone who has too many things in the to do list than there are number of hours. Thank you for sharing uuur wisdom!

• Kiwi April 26, 2018 at 9:03 am

My mom was a work at home mom. I dont have kids yet but I am 100% sure since I freelance now that I also will be a work at home mom myself.

• Carrie Liu April 26, 2018 at 10:25 am

I guess take time for yourself is the most important one. It’s so easy to forget about ourselves when we are busy with our career and families. Always leave some time for just yourself!

• Renee @ The Good Hearted Woman April 26, 2018 at 4:18 pm

This is all wonderful advice! I worked from home while I raised five children, and the best advice I can give after three decades is “Be kind to yourself.” Give yourself at least as much latitude as you give your best friends.

• kim April 28, 2018 at 3:04 pm

That’s definitely a balancing act and I know first hand! My kids are older so it makes it a little easier, but I definitely think having a set schedule is helpful.

• LavandaMichelle April 29, 2018 at 1:07 pm

This was a lovely post. Finding that balance is very important in order to be successful in both ‘lanes,’ Thanks for sharing! 🙂

• Becca Wilson April 30, 2018 at 9:01 am

Being successful working from home may seem like a huge task. These are some really great ideas for finding that balance.

• Nik May 5, 2018 at 1:24 am

Beautiful ideas. Surely gonna recommend this blog to my sister. Thank you for sharing.

• Nik May 5, 2018 at 1:25 am

Beautiful ideas. Surely gonna recommend this blog to my sister. Thank you for sharing 🙂

• Kaitlyn May 5, 2018 at 6:37 am

All really great tips! I’m glad you’ve found balance and success!

• Brandi Michel May 7, 2018 at 5:08 am

I’ve been a work at home mom for 12 years now, so I now all about how crazy it can be. Your tips are spot on! It’s important to be very organized now only in your work space but in your time and scheduling, or else it’s too easy to get overwhelmed. The main thing I’ve learned is I decided to work from home to raise my baby, so when her “plans” derail my work plans… go with the flow. Getting frustrated saps the joy out of why most of us became work at home moms in the first place. Great post!

• BFHL May 7, 2018 at 4:11 pm

Being a stay at home and working from home mom is not always easy. It does have a lot of perks though.

• Berlin May 8, 2018 at 10:40 am

I am.having a hard time to somehow balance life here at home. I need to be a mom and a homemaker plus I need to tend to som freelancing work.. but I am.trying to survive and check.on hpw to improve things…your suggestions are a.saver.

• David Allen Elliott May 8, 2018 at 10:25 pm

These are definitely things I need to think about while working on the blog. I have to balance many things going on and keep myself organized as much as possible.